Even with the best planning, we all have days where we need to produce a meal in next to no time. Fortunately, it IS possible to make a decent meal very quickly, even from scratch!
This little number makes a frequent appearance at my house when I want something hot for lunch and there are no leftovers to be had (and that's most of the time, with two teenage boys in residence!)
If you have some cooked quinoa in the fridge, you can be eating this in 10 minutes. It's a surprisingly filling meal, and would work equally well for a quick weeknight dinner. (By the way, if you *don't* have some cooked quinoa in the fridge, it's a great staple to have on hand as this is just one of many things you can whip up with it in just a few minutes! You can always freeze it if you haven't used it all up after a few days).
Here's what you've gotta do:
- Heat about a tablespoon of your favourite cooking oil/fat in a nonstick pan (I love my cast iron!)
- Toss in half a chopped onion and half a medium grated carrot and saute for a minute or two until they soften. Throw in about 1/4 cup of frozen peas and 3/4 cup cooked quinoa; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the peas are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (add about 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley if you have it on hand).
- Turn this mixture out onto your serving plate, getting the pan as clean as you can.
- Put the pan back on the heat and add a small chunk of butter. Beat one or two eggs with a splash of milk; once the butter is melted and pan is hot, add eggs to pan and scramble to desired doneness. Place on top of quinoa mixture.
- Top with a spoonful of sour cream and a couple of sliced green onions.
How easy was that?!?
This makes one generous portion, and can easily be doubled/tripled/quadrupled to feed your desired amount of people (just adjust your pan size accordingly so you don't overfill the pan).
What's your favourite super-quick meal?
For more simple, tasty and family-friendly recipes like this one, check out my book: Cheap Appétit: The Complete Guide to Feeding Your Family for Less Than $400 a Month (While Eating Better Than You Ever Thought Possible)
Love what you read here? Click HERE to see the ways you can help support this blog (many of them won't cost you a thing!)
Want to stay connected in between blog posts?
Click HERE to sign up for my Cook with Karen newsletter (max 2 emails a month)
Click HERE to follow me on Pinterest
Click HERE to follow me on Twitter
Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally
Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking
Great post. Thanks for sharing this. Also, check this out if you are looking for professional website or logo design services:ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
Hey, I read your blog.ReplyDelete
It's very helpful for me and such a very unique blog thanks for sharing with us.
If you want best law dissertation help
then visit our site with a 7O% discount. I expect you will be satisfied with our service.
Thanks for sharing this useful site:ReplyDelete
please visit our site if you are interested in your dissertation assignment help?
law dissertation help