Thursday, April 25, 2013

RECIPE: Easy Blueberry Oatmeal Squares


My family loves blueberries. My family loves oats. It seemed like a good idea to combine the two. One Sunday when both my energy levels and my pantry were fairly depleted and I needed to come up with a simple dessert using what we had on hand, I created these delicious squares. It's hard to go wrong when you combine oats, fruit, and lots of butter :)

Fruit and oats are such a happy match, and you could use just about any type of fruit that strikes your fancy instead of the blueberries. Raspberries, peaches, or a strawberry-rhubarb combo would all be delightful I think (and trying out all of these possibilities will give me plenty of excuses to make these squares again!)

Ingredients:

Filling:
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (I prefer the wild ones)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

Oat mixture:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened

Instructions:
To make the filling, combine blueberries, sugar, orange juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press 1/2 of the mixture into a greased 9" x 9" pan.

Spread filling evenly over oat mixture; sprinkle remaining oat mixture over top and press down lightly.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Let cool to room temperature before cutting into squares.

Makes 16 squares.

For more simple, tasty and family-friendly recipes like this one, check out my book: Cheap Appétit: The Complete Guide to Feeding Your Family for Less Than $400 a Month (While Eating Better Than You Ever Thought Possible)

DID YOU KNOW? I now have an events page! Come find out where you can catch up with me at a signing, seminar, workshop or food demo HERE.

Love what you read here? Find out how you can help support this blog. 

Want to stay connected in between blog posts?

Click HERE to follow me on Pinterest 

Click HERE to follow me on Twitter

Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally

Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails