Friday, August 27, 2010
What are Your Bargain-Hunting Habits?
1. Check Simplyfrugal.ca daily for new updates on Canadian freebies, sales, and discounts. This is the best source I've found so far for exclusively Canadian deals and I usually find a great freebie or coupon at least once or twice a week.
2. Patrol the reduced racks at the grocery store every time I go (my neighbourhood store has a fruit and vegetable rack and a bread/baked goods rack) and take a stroll past the meat counter to look for marked down meat and unadvertised specials.
3. Browse the "free" ads on Kijiji and Craigslist a couple of times a week to see what goodies people are giving away (I also check the "wanted" ads to see if I can help out anyone who's looking for something).
4. On Thursdays, our big stack of sales flyers for the week gets delivered. I sit down with a cup of coffee and wade through them, noting the good deals and starting to plan our shopping trip(s) for the week.
5. On Fridays, I check the newspaper classifieds and the listings on Kijiji and Craigslist for the upcoming weekend's yard sales, and plan my yard sale route.
6. On Saturday morning (and sometimes Sunday) I head out on my weekly yard sale rounds.
7. On Sunday evenings, I keep an eye on the curb for anything our neighbours may have set out for trash pickup that I might want to divert from the landfill :) I generally keep my eyes open anytime I'm out and about for the possibility of a good curbside find. Just yesterday my boys scooped a huge box of free Lego from the side of the road (yes, it was clearly marked "free" on the box!)
What bargain-hunting rituals do you have?