Thursday, September 2, 2010

Make It From Scratch: Oatmeal

 Oatmeal is one of the frugalista's go-to breakfasts. It's inexpensive, nutritious, filling and delicious! So, why, oh why, do I still see so many people in the checkout line with those boxes of instant oatmeal packets (that are not only horrendously expensive, they're sickly sweet and totally unpalatable!)

Real oatmeal from scratch is so easy to prepare, I wanted to make sure everyone knows how to make it :) I'm going to share the instructions for both stovetop oatmeal (very quick to make) and baked oatmeal (which takes a bit longer, but is my family's favourite way to eat oatmeal; it's how I converted both my kids to oatmeal eaters!)

Stovetop oatmeal:

Ingredients:
2 cups water or other liquid (we like half milk, half water, but you can experiment with apple or orange juice for different flavours)
1 cup of rolled oats (you can use either quick-cooking or regular, but I don't recommend the instant cooking as the texture is not as good)
1/4 cup brown sugar (or substitute your sweetener of choice; you'll need less sugar if using juice for part of the cooking liquid)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
other additions of choice - you can add raisins or other dried fruit, or chopped fresh fruit (apples, pears, peaches, etc)

Instructions:
In a medium saucepan, bring the liquid to a boil. Stir in the oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and any optional additions. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until oatmeal is completely cooked and mixture has thickened to desired consistency.

Now, on to our favourite...

Baked Oatmeal
(pictured above)

I started out with a baked oatmeal recipe from a bed and breakfast and tweaked it significantly until I got it just right for us (I use substantially less sugar and fat than the original called for!) I pop this in the oven before I get in the shower and it's all ready to eat when I'm done.

3 cups rolled oats (regular or quick-cooking, not instant!)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 apples, peeled and chopped (can be omitted or other fruit may be substituted)

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into greased 9" x 13" baking dish and bake at 375F for 25 minutes or until firm. Serve topped with syrup, milk, more fruit, or whatever else strikes your fancy :)

Do you have a favourite way to make oatmeal for breakfast? If so, please share it with us in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. I love baked oatmeal! I make mine with steel cut oats I buy in bulk for .50/lb. The good part is it really fills me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading for a few months now, and love your blog! I am trying your Baked Oatmeal this morning; it's in the oven right now. I usually cook steel-cut oats in a crockpot overnight. This is a nice variation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea - Wow, that's a fantastic price for steel cut oats - don't think I can get them for anywhere near that around here. Baked oatmeal IS really filling, isn't it? I never get the mid-morning stomach rumblies when we have it for breakfast :)

    @Mycsashare - hope you enjoyed the baked oatmeal as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal! I want to try the baked one but it is about 110 today so I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon. LOL If Fall ever gets here I will SO try this! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to try the oven baked oatmeal. I love oatmeal and this would be a nice variation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe. One minor criticism: you should never stir your oatmeal while it is cooking. It causes the starches to break down faster. Just let your oats sit until there are visible "holes" in the oats and the water has been sufficiently reduced and absorbed.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - the way you recommend is how I cook all other grains on the stove top, funny how it never occurred to me to do oats that way :) I actually don't do stove top oats that often anymore as my kids much prefer the baked oatmeal.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails