Sunday, June 24, 2012

Weekly Yard Sale Report: Crazy Busy Saturday Edition

For those of you who might have been wondering, yes I *did* go out on my usual Saturday morning yard sale rounds yesterday - I just didn't have time to blog about it! It was also the first exchange of the 2012 season for the West Hamilton Produce Cooperative, which I coordinate. That means I was up to my eyeballs in fresh-from-the-backyard-garden produce, sorting, portioning and distributing the bounty amongst our members. And on top of that, our family had a big party to go to as well - the 40th birthday celebration for one of my closest friends, whom I've known since we were younger than my kids are now! So we were there from late afternoon till well after dark.

Fortunately, the yard sales running in my area yesterday were in a very compact area, with two street sales and another individual sale all within a few blocks of one another in the Southwest part of the city. I was able to hit them all within a short period of time and managed to find a few purchase-worthy items:


A clear glass vase with a funky "bubble" texture (25 cents), two IKEA baskets that are a match for a few I already own and could use more of ($2 each) and a very practical "Lug" bag for $11. The bag was a bit on the spendy side for me, and at first I wasn't sure if it was worth it, but I'm already really glad I bought it. I packed it up full of stuff to tote along to the party we attended yesterday, and it has so many handy pockets and pouches it was easy to keep everything well organized. I'm planning on using it as my portable book marketing office, as it will easily hold a few copies of my book plus all the accompanying marketing materials. I also have it on good authority from a couple of friends who shop retail a lot more than I do that these bags cost around $65 new (plus tax) so I did get myself a pretty good deal!

As for the most interesting things I saw that I *didn't* buy this week, there were quite a few to choose from at one sale I stopped by, including these shields:

which my boys would have LOVED to have on their walls when they were younger but would not exactly fit into the "cool" category these days :)

And this fine specimen:


I'm not sure who this guy is but I just had to take a photo of him! I don't think my husband would be too impressed if I dragged this home and plonked it in the living room.

Grand total for the day: $15.25 for 4 items, or $3.81 an item

Did you find anything great this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails