Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Month of ThanksGiving


Thanksgiving is this weekend here in Canada, and this year I've felt inspired to make the whole month a celebration!

2012 has been a rather challenging year for our family in many ways, and I know I'm not alone on this one. A lot of us have had difficult things to deal with in these past months. It can be hard not to get caught up in your own personal struggles and forget that other people have problems, too!

One thing I've learned over the years is that when my own life feels overwhelming, it can really help to take a look around and realize that other people are dealing with at least as much (if not more!) than I am. And that things are easier on all of us when we remember to be as caring and kind as we can be, even in the midst of chaos. We all have good intentions, but often we forget to do the little things we could easily do to make someone's day just a little brighter. Those small gestures can have more impact than we think, and they may just be the thing that brings a smile to someone's face and helps them get through a difficult day with a little more grace.

In that spirit, I wanted to challenge myself to make October an entire month of ThanksGiving. Each day this month, I will either send a "thank you" note to someone who's brightened up my life, or find something useful I can give to a person (or organization) and send it their way.

Seeing as how it's already October 3rd, that means I have already got three days of ThanksGiving to account for:

October 1st: I took a pile of clothes my boys had outgrown (the ones that managed to survive in good condition!) over to my neighbour who has two small boys to grow into them.

October 2nd: I signed up for regular Coffeecology deliveries. I just found out about this local business, which offers Fair Trade, organic coffee that has been locally roasted here in Hamilton, then delivered to your doorstep by bicycle (in reusable Mason jars, no less!) Depending on the variety of coffee you choose, it also supports other programs like Cafe Fem or "bird friendly" migratory habitat preservation. They even donate 50% of their profits to Coffee Kids. I just couldn't resist a project that combines so many aspects of sustainability and social justice, so I'm now signed up for a regular delivery every three weeks (and I will get to enjoy my morning coffee even more now that I know it's supporting so many good programs).

Oct 3rd (today): Last night, thanks to fellow blogger Andrea of Simple Organized Living, I found out about this family in need. Harold Barlow died suddenly of a brain infection, leaving his wife and 5 young children (ages 9 months to 11 years) behind. I can't even begin to imagine what this mom is going through right now! An online fundraiser has been set up for this family, for $5 you can purchase a bundle of e-books from a variety of mom bloggers worth $50. I'm doing this today, and I hope you will consider joining me. The bundle needs to be purchased by tomorrow, so please act quickly! Even if you can't purchase this yourself, please help spread the word by sharing on Facebook and Twitter.

I would love it if you would join me in a "Month of ThanksGiving", and if you do, I'd love to hear about your experience. I plan to post a couple of updates throughout the month, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to share your own ThanksGiving moments!

 Love what you read here? Find out how you can help support this blog. 

Want to stay connected in between blog posts?

Click HERE to follow me on Twitter

Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally

Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking

1 comment:

  1. I had been missing your posting as much and had wondered if something was going on in your life. Know that your readers care and want the best for you! You give of yourself very freely, and we appreciate you! Consider yourself hugged!
    I think your Thanksgiving post is wonderful, even if here in the States it is about seven or so weeks away. Everyday should be a day of gratitude. Good reminder and I will try to participate for Oct and Nov.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails