Monday, March 18, 2013

Weekly Menu Retrospective #102

Welcome to my weekly roundup of the past week's eats. I prefer to report what we ate in the last week, rather than what we're planning to eat in the coming week. Why? The reason is pretty simple: although I usually have a general idea of what we're going to eat in the next week or so, life often unfolds a little differently than planned, and I adjust my menu plan on a near-daily basis to accommodate leftovers and other not-possible-to-plan-ahead circumstances. I find this is the easiest way to ensure that I minimize our family's food waste. I'm also willing to admit that I'm a rather spontaneous cook, given to preparing foods that strike me as the most appealing thing to eat right here and now!

If you'd like a whole book full of inexpensive, quick and kid-approved recipes,
check out my book, Cheap Appétit : The Complete Guide to Feeding Your Family for Less Than $400 a Month (While Eating Better Than You Ever Thought Possible) on Amazon (Amazon.com, Amazon.ca and Amazon UK) and Barnes and Noble.  It's gotten multiple 5 star reviews!! I've included page references to recipes that are in the book in my menu plans so you can locate them quickly. For more details about the book, go here.    

Breakfasts:

Granola (p. 92) with yogurt, Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins (p. 102), Blueberry Clafouti (p. 223), yogurt cheese with pineapple and honey

Lunches: 
leftovers, sandwiches, pizza, scrambled eggs with toast and avocado

Dinners:

Monday: Chickpeas with Potatoes and Peas (p. 138)

Tuesday: Taco Platters 

Wednesday: Potato, Broccoli and Parmesan Frittata, tossed salad

Thursday: Lemon and Garlic Chicken (p. 184), Easy Oven Fries (p. 194), Creamy Cucumber Salad (p. 205)

Friday: Everything-But-the-Kitchen-Sink Lentil Soup (p. 162)

Saturday: Chicken and Red Pepper Pizza (basic Pizza in a Flash recipe on p. 133)

Sunday: Pork and Apple Stew (p. 156), Old-Fashioned Butterscotch Pudding (p. 233)

In keeping with my local and organic challenge, I'd also like to note the local and/or organic items on this week's menu:

Organic: coconut (in granola), coconut oil (in granola), raisins, sunflower and pumpkin seeds (in granola), flax seeds, spelt bran, tortilla chips, bananas, oranges, lemons, coffee (locally roasted and delivered by bike!), cornstarch, cane sugar,  mustard, tamari, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, black pepper, parsley, paprika, Fairytale tea, peppermint tea

Local: potatoes, carrots, onions, apples, cabbage, salsa (home-canned), ground beef (from VG Meats), honey (unpasteurized), milk, sour cream, Parmesan cheese 

Local AND organic: peanut butter,
sesame seeds (used to top bread loaves), oats, milk (used to make yogurt), eggs (not "certified organic", but real free range and fed organic feed), apple cider vinegarpopcorn, whole wheat flour

Want to know more about the specific food products I use and where I buy them? Check out my new "What's In My Pantry" board on Pinterest.  I will keep this board updated with current information on what products we use, where we're buying them, and how much we're paying. It's a work-in-progress, and you can find it HERE.

For more great meal ideas, check out Menu Plan Monday at orgjunkie.com. 

DID YOU KNOW? I now have an events page! Come find out where you can catch up with me at a signing, seminar, workshop or food demo HERE.

Love what you read here? Find out how you can help support this blog. 

Want to stay connected in between blog posts?

Click HERE to follow me on Pinterest 

Click HERE to follow me on Twitter

Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally

Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails